Sunday, April 22, 2012

James Hook + Co.

James Hook + Co.
15-17 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210
Tel: (617) 423-5501

2014 Spring Update: I have had at least 5 rolls here in the last week. The lobster is still just as good and they bought an impinging toaster- one of those conveyor belt doobers.  Not quite a flat top with some buttered sides, but it only makes them better.

Original Post:

I work not far from here and have eaten here quite a few times. I have never reviewed them since they are not in Maine, but my grazing pasture expanded this year.  Quite frankly I was running out of places to review.  Hey, but your blog has like 10 reviews? I am slowly migrating over 40 reviews from travels in Maine since 2007.

This business has a storied past, after being a Boston landmark for decades on the Fort Point Channel, the business burned to the ground, or should I say water, in 2008 - Story from Boston Globe. The retail component of the business is now housed in temporary trailer.  I ate there back before the fire and I can't recall if they had a flat top grill or not, but they don't have one now.

Without a grille or even a hot plate, they cannot toast the buns. The rolls are pre-made and live in a cooler. The immediate assumption is that the roll would be soggy and the untempered lobster's flavor would be diminished.  Maybe I was lucky and arrived right when they prepped some fresh ones - the flavor was outstanding. There was variety in the meat, not just claws and knuckles, but tail too, and in satisfying pieces. Most gratifying was the tomalley staining throughout.  That tinge of green adds flavor and lets you know the meat was hand picked and not processed.

The standard roll was a mere $13.00 in 2012 with a slightly larger one in a sub roll for $16.00.   Sub Roll? Resist the urge.
It is a good value and I supect their temorary trailer is what prevents them from having a grill, so I am not holding it against them.

April 30. 2012 Update:  Went for another roll on a whim. Their lobster meat is as good as it gets. All that elusive sweetness comes through.

Owner's Whips



The Dreaded Case

No comments:

Post a Comment