Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Landing Store: Great Find in Kennebunkport

The Landing Store
157 Summer St
Kennebunk, ME 04043
(207) 985-2448

Simply awesome! They've had a little buzz in lobster roll circles. They are to Mabels or the Clam Shack what The Keag Store in Thomaston is to Watermans Beach- if you are on the inside of lobster roll culture, you'll know what I am talking about.

When I walked in I almost decided to buy a soda and bail. They have a deli that lets you choose all kinds of fun ingredients for your "panini." It is a panino and they are panini. I decided to go for it and they had a small lobster roll for a paltry $10.99. I'll spend 10 bucks to have good fodder for a Yelp review and add to the most comprehensive list on lobster rolls on the web: Lobster and Crab Roll List

The Small is not small at all. It easily had 5 ounces of lobster meat. He actually asked if I wanted lettuce- how cool is that? If you have followed my lobster roll reviews then you know I have a thing about lettuce. The roll was a side split hot dog bun that was buttered and grilled- textbook. I was worried about the lobster salad since I noticed they had a bin of it in the deli case with some plastic wrap over it, possibly prepared days in advance. I was hoping it was for the people that buy a container of it at $29 per pound. I actually don't know what they charge per pound - I digress. The roll was passed across the counter suffocating in snug plastic wrap like it was about to go into a grab and go cooler. I was instantly disheartened. I paid and then proceeded to photograph on the hood of my truck. I needed to unwrap before the plastic wrap made any crispiness in the grilled roll go soft. I was not prepared for the first bite.

This might be the best roll I've had in 5 years. I couldn't believe it. The meat was juicy, tender, and sweet. There was just enough mayo to bind and lightly coat- no more, no less.

Congratulations Landing Store - you are in the Pantheon. If only you could find some wharf to start a new place at- you would need St. Peter in the parking lot.
Seating Area



No comments:

Post a Comment