Sunday, April 8, 2012

Linda Bean's Maine Kitchen: Season Opener for 2012

Linda Bean's Main Kitchen
88 Main St
Freeport, ME 04032
(207) 865-9835

Another one I have been avoiding, like Red's or Cook's, but it had to be done in the name of the roll. I should only be judging on the roll, but this place makes it hard not to judge. Is there a demographic anywhere that likes gold metal ceiling tiles- Atlantic City? The place is basically a Chili's with more seafood and poorer decor.

So this is how Linda Bean chooses to extend her legacy as L.L's granddaughter? Couldn't she have created something that offers a more sincere and authentic experience? The fact that thousands of visitors from around the globe will recall this place as a representation of Maine is tragic.

On to the roll: just lousy. Completely tasteless and a deviation from the textbook Maine roll. Let's start with the dressing? There's no dressing in lobster rolls, not now, not ever. What about dill on top, nope, not part of a textbook roll. I saw claw tips all crinkled up indicating "fresh-frozen," and the meat was stark white- another indicator. Tasteless meat, freakishly white, crinkled claw meat= not freshly picked.

I almost forgot that the homemade potato chips were all wet. I think they had been splashed with an enormous amount of pickle juice.

Linda Bean's is and affront to Freeport, but then again, Freeport is and affront to Freeport. I can say that, I was born there. Actually I was born in Mercy Hospital in Portland, but my parents lived in Freeport.


Lobster and Crab Roll List


No comments:

Post a Comment