Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Schutty's: A Great New Addition to Mid Coast

Schutty's Seafood
320 State Rd
West Bath, ME 04530
(207) 798-9167


August 2012 Update: Portland Press Herald gives rave review!

I haven't yelped about a crab/lobster roll for over year. I have basically been uninspired since I have been revisiting all the places I have already yelped, but today was different. On Saturday I noticed a new food truck with picnic tables sharing a parking lot with Sea Spray Kayak. On my way home I decided to investigate and am glad I did. I had a textbook crab roll on the most perfectly buttered and grilled side split hotdog bun. The meat was fresh and sweet with the slightest amount of mayo - sublime! I'll be trying their lobster roll soon and adding an update.


In addition to crab and lobster rolls they offer fried fare and chowders. My wife had the fried scallop roll. The scallops were huge and golden brown. She let me have one if I took her to Classic Custard in Freeport on the way home. I took the bait and it was fantastic, firm, and sweet.

I am so glad to have this option in West Bath. I met the proprietors, Shawn Schutt and Holly Snowdon. The owners live up the street in West Bath and are committed to sourcing the freshest local seafood. They serve honest Maine seafood classics at a fair price with daily specials. This weekend they are going to do fish tacos.

They are right off the New Meadows exit along Route 1. I can envision a great day of kayaking at Sea Spray and then gorging myself on a fried seafood plate afterward.

If you were holding out for Day's on the way south or were thinking about Patty's on the way north, give Schutty's a try and it will become a new favorite.

This is now a midcoast favorite for me!

2011 End of Summer Update:  I have eaten here about a dozen times since discovering and it is always outstanding.

Lobster and Crab Roll List

No comments:

Post a Comment